Unless severe damage occurs to your roof, it can be difficult to tell when it needs replacing. By having DCF Contracting inspect your roof, you can identify the signs that you need to replace it. Doing so ensures your roof is in good condition and keeps your household and property safe. This article tells you how to know if you need to replace your roof.
Signs That You Need To Replace Your Roof
If you notice the following signs, it’s time to replace your roof.
- It’s Too Old. Roofs last about 20–25 years, after which a roof replacement costs less than repairs that quickly add up because they’re too frequent.
- Missing Shingles. Water may leak into your home and cause water damage, which can be extremely costly to repair and may compromise your home’s structural integrity.
- Curled Shingles. They’re signs of a problem, such as leaks, which pose safety risks as they cause major damage. Curled shingles are also susceptible to strong winds, which may rip away the material.
- Sunlight or Moisture in the Attic. If spots of moisture or streaks of sunlight find their way into your attic or the space beneath your roof, consider replacing your roof as it may be damaged.
- Worn Out Flashing. You need to replace your roof if the flashing in various areas of your roof, such as the chimney, is in poor condition. Check for signs of damage such as cracking or peeling.
- Sagging. Your roof may sag due to damages, compromising its structural integrity and posing health and safety risks of collapsing or the growth of toxic mold.
- Moss. The presence of moss or other unwanted greenery on your roof indicates an accumulation of moisture, which gradually damages it.
- Shingle Fragments. Check your gutters for shingle fragments that may have flaked off due to harsh weather conditions. Consider adding guard sheets to your gutters.
- Damaged Roof Valley. Roofs with placements and peaks form valleys across their surface. These valleys are susceptible to damage because of strong winds or the accumulation of debris and water.
- Rising Energy Bills. If there’s been a recent spike in your home energy bills, a damaged roof is one of the culprits, as it may let air inside and outside of your home, reducing the efficiency of your HVAC system.
Choosing the Right Roofing Contractor To Replace Your Roof
Noticing many of the signs above can be difficult, if not impossible, without carrying out a thorough inspection of your roof. Such inspections are best left to certified roofing professionals because only they have the skills, experience and equipment needed to perform the inspections safely and effectively.
DCF Contracting is the preferred roofing contractor for homeowners in Virginia because we’re licensed and fully insured. We handle all roofing projects, including roofing replacement, roofing repairs and new roof construction. We offer various roofing materials, such as rubber roofing and shingles.
A Roof Replacement Can Save Your Home and Household
Ensuring your roof is in good condition protects the health and safety of your household and minimizes the risk of property loss due to water damage. If you think you need to replace your roof but are unsure, contact DCF Contracting now and schedule an inspection.